Monday, January 7, 2008

Ultimate Mortal Kombat DS


I remember a time when, if you wanted to play a really good video game, you had to go to an arcade. I also remember when fighting games first picked up at the arcade. I was a Street Fighter 2 addict, and the machine was always packed with players. Then, one day, a new fighting game was set up next to it. It had real looking people instead of cartoons. The violence was off the charts as the fighters bled everywhere when they got hit. The selling part to me, was that after winning, you had the chance to kill your opponent. WOW! This game was amazing. This game was Mortal Kombat.

Over the years, Mortal Kombat has changed for the better and worse many times over. Finally they've gone back to their roots. This wonderful portable pack of greatness is the arcade version and quality of Mortal Kombat 3. Two of my favorite fighters are missing in this edition (Baraka and Johnny Cage), but at least I have Sub Zero. Don't let that fool you, though, this is every character from the arcade edition.

The gameplay is fluid and very responsive. The graphics and sound are outstanding. The WI-FI MULTIPLAYER is a needed and wonderful touch! Everything you could possibly want is included and works great.

Like every game, there a couple of downsides. The biggest, to me at least, is the lack of difficulty settings. The gameplay is very fast, and has a high learning curve when you haven't played in several years like me. It would be nice to put it on easy for a few days while I get used to everything again. Other than that, I can't complain at all!

Another nice inclusion is Puzzle Kombat. It's a Dr. Mario style game done two player format. You can play against the computer or a friend (only one cart needed). It's simple, but fun if you need a break.

If you were a fan of the classic age of fighting games, this is a must have!

No comments: